The Q&A Archives: Protecting Gardens and Dogs

Question: I care a lot about my garden and recently got a new dog. Is there anything I should do to protect them both?

Answer: Since dogs love to nibble on plants, avoid ones that are known to be irritating or toxic. Common garden plants that can harm your pets include flamingo lily (Anthurium), castor bean, foxglove, jasmine, oleander and tomato plants. Pet-friendly plants, on the other hand, include bamboo, catnip, lavender and marigold (other than the marsh marigold). As for protecting your garden, the best way to curb the destructive garden tendencies of a dog is to let him burn off that exuberant energy in a nearby park. A well-exercised dog will use yard time to hang out with you and relax, not to dig up your plants.