The Q&A Archives: Storage Shed Ideas

Question: I just moved in and I need to build a shed this spring for additional storage. Any cost-friendly options?

Answer: Depending on where you live, some materials may work better than others. Metal is an economical choice and may be composed of materials ranging from galvanized to vinyl-coated steel. Plastic requires a larger investment up front, but its surface will not peel and it provides strong resistance to both rust and rot. Wood sheds are attractive and should be coated with sealers and preservatives to prevent rot and protect them from ultraviolet rays. With proper preparation wood will continue to look good for years to come. In addition to choosing what material you want the shed to be made from, you will also need to select a location and material for the base. You will want to find a spot that's smooth and level. You will find a range of ready-to-assemble kits and other options at The Home Depot. For extraordinary workmanship and outstanding value, professionals from The Home Depot Home Services can handle all of your custom installation needs.