The Q&A Archives: Creeping Myrtle

Question: Recently, I received an ad from a mail order nursery selling a type of ground cover called "creeping myrtle". I've looked in most every garden book I get my hands on to find a definition to this, what they describe as, groundcover but haven't been successful. Can you give me a description of it?

Answer: Creeping Myrtle is also called Vinca, or Periwinkle. Vinca is an evergreen groundcover that flowers both spring and summer in either pink, white, or purple blossoms. The leaves of vinca are dark, glossy green. Vinca major will grow in partial sunshine tolight shade, and has long, trailing stems that root as they spread, and Vinca minor, is a dwarf version, preferring to grow in the shade. Hope this sheds some light on your plant mystery.