The Q&A Archives: Knock-Out Roses

Question: I need to trim back my knock-out roses. I need to know when is the best time to do this and how much do I cut them back.
Thank you,

Answer: Required pruning is absolutely minimal for Knock-Out Roses: in the spring, (late February or early March) trim out any winter damaged canes. During the season, should a particular cane grow out of bounds a bit, just trim it back for neatness. If desired, pruning can be more intensive. Early each spring simply trim the entire plant back very short to encourage dense new growth -- you could use hedge shears to do this quickly. Either method will help keep vigorous new growth coming in and keep air flow moving through the center of the plant a bit better. You will also be able to keep the plants tidy although their normal shapes are fairly regular regardless of whether or not they are regularly pruned. Enjoy your roses!