The Q&A Archives: How to find good "loam" soil?

Question: I called the garden centers around town and the garden soil they mix only has munch, sand and silt. I heard that the best soild for vegetable gardens is Loam which has clay, sand and mulch. How do I get the best soild for a vegetable garden? My yard has no accessible top soild because of tree roots.

Answer: Loamy soil is something you build over time by adding compost and organic mulch to the soil and digging it in. You should be able to find bagged compost at your local garden center. Spread it over the garden site and dig it into the soil. After planting your veggies, spread additional compost over the bare soil. Dig this into the soil after the gardening season is over. After a few years of this practice you'll have excellent garden loam and lots of healthy vegetable plants. Best wishes with your garden!