The Q&A Archives: sandcherry-tree or shrub?

Question: I live in zone 5. We are landscaping the North side of the yard, and am wondering about the sandcherry. Is it more of a shrub or a tree and how tolerant are they to deseases? Maybe I would be better off with a burning bush...thank-you George.

Answer: Sand cherries are one of my favorite shrubs, largely because I like the purple color. I've had one for years and have not had any problems with disease, although powdery mildew and some leaf spots can affect them. Burning bush has a denser growth habit than a sand cherry but doesn't grow as tall. Burning bush is relatively disease-free but susceptible to aphids. Both of these plants like the sun, so make sure your site will provide at least 6 hours a day. Good luck.