The Q&A Archives: Tomato Trouble-Shooting

Question: My tomatoes were doing beautifully last year until one day one looked wilted. I thought it was just dry so I watered it. The next day the same happened and the plant died shortly thereafter. The same thing happened to all 12 of my tomatoes. What is the problem??? Kim Sheppard Fern. Bch., FL

Answer: It sounds as though you have a problem with either bacterial wilt or southern blight. The first step in combating any fungal or bacterial disease is to practice good sanitation. Promptly remove and destroy any diseased plant material, keep weeds down, and rotate crops. Keep plants well-spaced to promote good air circulation. Choose disease-resistant tomato varieties--look for the letters V, F, A, or T after the variety name. You might try the "Mountain" varieties, developed by Dr. Randy Gardner at North Carolina State Univ., including Mountain Delight VFFA and Mountain Supreme VF. These are available from Tomato Growers Supply Co., PO Box 2237, Fort Meyers, FL 33902, (914)768-1119..