The Q&A Archives: Dog problems

Question: I have a small decorative pond in my front yard, and the local dogs seem to enjoy daily trashing of the garden i have planted around the pond on their way to get you have any ideas of plants that will repel the dogs...?

Answer: How sad that the dogs won't respect your pond! The good news is that dogs are creatures of habit so if you put up a temporary barrier they will eventually discover that they cannot splash and swim in the water. Try covering the pond temporarily with chicken wire or birdnetting. Be sure to anchor it down well so the dogs cannot crawl under it. I did this with my backyard pond to keep the raccoons out and it worked, so I think it will work for you, as well. At least I hope so! You can remove the barrier in a few weeks. Best wishes with your garden!