The Q&A Archives: weeds

Question: My back yard is full of goat head weeds. My dog is always getting them stuck in his paws. How can I get rid of them and keep my dog safe, too?

Answer: Sandbur or burgrass is a native grass that's mostly an annual, but self-sows readily. It's found on sandy soils and trails along rooting at the nodes (stems). The roots aren't very extensive, so cultivating the soil should kill it. Try not to let it go to seed, because the seed can last for years in the soil. If you're growing gardens in that area, I'd just till and cultivate the soil frequently to kill the burgrass. If you're planting alawn, you should start all over by tilling under the soil, amending it compost and planting a tough grass such as buffalo grass that will crowd out any weeds.