The Q&A Archives: Grapes

Question: I hav a red seedless grapevine its been growing for about 12 years now. I have pruned it watered it fed it and every year the same thing happens. it starts growing great in the spring good leaves great bunches of grapes get started and then around the end of June to mid July the leaves start developing brown spots and then dry out and the grapes do the same without fully developing.

Answer: It sounds like a fungal disease to me. You can spray a fungicide on your grape plants to protect them before mildew becomes a problem. Either a copper based or a sulfur based fungicide will work. ( Bayleton is one brand name) Be sure to apply according to label directions. Repeat sprays are usually necessary. Good luck with your grape harvest!