The Q&A Archives: Seeds Per Container

Question: I am ready to start some of my vegetable seeds indoors and later transplant them outside once it warms up. I plan on simply using potting soil in styrofoam cups. How many seeds per cup do I use? I would like to start a variety of vegetables so I'mnot sure whether this answer depends upon the type of vegetable seed or not.

Answer: If you are planting tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce or even squash, they are all best started indoors and transplanted outdoors later when it's warmer. I would start with 1998 seed and use 2-3 seeds per cup. Once up, thin to the healthiest seedling and take good care of it. All other vegetables can be directly sown in the garden without transplanting.