The Q&A Archives: how do I get rid of moles/voles?

Question: Hello, I and many of my friends have recently experienced an explosion of moles/voles. I have tried all marketed poisons, vibrating stakes, discouraging soaps and smells. I am not willing to use a general insecticide and thus kill all of the beneficial earthworms. I have not yet tried a spring-loaded machine. Any suggestions? thank you

Answer: Trapping is the most effective way of getting rid of moles and scissors type traps are the most useful. You'll need to find the main runs and place your traps there. I use a sturdy stick or metal bar to explore the lawn. If pushed into the soil you will be able to feel where the tunnels are located and the approximate size. The deeper, wider tunnels are the main runs. Set your traps and reset them as often as necessary to eliminate the mole population. Voles can be trapped with peanut butter baited mouse traps. Best wishes with your project!