The Q&A Archives: what type of climbing rose to use

Question: what type of climbing rose do I use for our pergola? We have lattice on the top of it and a little on each side for climbing roses. I prefer pink roses. Can you advise me of type, name and how to plant so it extends over the top? Thank You.

Answer: There are many great climbers. I like Climbing Pinkie, the spring only blooming Lady Banks, the climbing form of the antique variety Old Blush, and Red Cascade. I'm sure you'll find more in your local garden center. Climbing roses bloom on new growth so pruning your new plants will encourage lots of new growth and lots of flowers. Climbing roses will naturally climb up to the top (and sometimes over) the lattice work so just be patient with your new roses. They will eventually completely cover your pergola. Enjoy!