The Q&A Archives: How to plan a vegetable garden for Spring and Summer

Question: Live in middle south area. Would like a plan to follow on planting our garden. Will plant tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, eggplants, green beans, okra, peppers, dill, plus a few more. Need a layout plan. Also for spring garden.
Janie Carrell

Answer: The general rule of thumb is tall crops go in the back (north), while short crops go in the front (south) of your garden. This may no plant shades another. I place rows of pole beanes, tomatoes, and okra in the back. The next row would be peppers, eggplant and bush squash. On the edges of the beds I'd plant melons and cucumber and let them vine outside the garden, thus saving space. In front I'd plant carrots and bush beans. They should all fit. Just follow the spacing recommendations on the packages and you'll end up having more food than you can eat!!!