The Q&A Archives: queen palm tree

Question: Please give me whatever information on a queen palm tree you may have. Yesterday I purchased 3 and want to know if they fit well as part of my landscaping? How tall do they get? Do they require much water, sun, shade? Do they ruin plumbing? Are they clean, easy to maintain? Do they require a lot of work and upkeep?

Answer: The Queen palm tree originated in Argentina and is used to quickly landscape treeless gardens. The Queen palm can grow 50 feet tall and will survive cold temperatures of 20 degrees F. The huge double rows of feather-like leaves top the Queen palm's smooth trunk of grey. Queen palm trees flower in mid-summer, and the dates turn orange in winter, hanging in 6 foot ornamental clusters from the the top of the Queen palm tree. The Queen palm tree grows best in acid soils and full sun. As a fast growing palm tree, the Queen palm can grow 6 feet per year when favorably established. They are easy to maintain and are cleaner than most palms.