The Q&A Archives: China Doll Culture

Question: I have China Doll plant and I need pruning, grooming, propagating and other general information on this beautiful plant.

Answer: China Doll is 'Radermachera', introduced to Europe from Taiwan in the 1980's. It has since crossed the ocean, and become a popular houseplant here. To successfully grow China Doll, provide average household temperatures - minimum 50F to 55F degrees in the winter. The plant likes bright light, but not direct summer sunshine. Keep the planting medium moist at all times, but don't allow it to become waterlogged. Repot, when necessary, in the springtime. To propagate, take stem cuttings in the summertime. Take an actively growing stem, cut from the plant, remove all but the top leaflet, dip the cut end in rooting hormone, and place the cutting in moist potting soil, out of direct sunlight. The cutting should root within 4 weeks. Enjoy your China Doll!