The Q&A Archives: growing rosemary outside

Question: I live in southwest louisiana, I want to grow rosemary outside. Is there any specific type that will thrive outside in the ground and what location and soil conditions do I need

Answer: Rosemary typically grows well in full sunshine and is reasonably drought tolerant once established. If the ground doesn't drain well, or if you overwater, rosemary will die. Even though rosemary is drought tolerant it still needs some irrigation. I suggest giving plants frequent water (every 3 to 5 days) during the first growing season, and then decrease irrigation frequency once the root system has established and expanded. In my experience, rosemary plants that survive the first year will live for a long time. Once established, observe them and irrigate when they begin to show any signs of wilting. Rosemary planted in native soil needs no fertilizer. Fall is an excellent time to plant rosemary. Best wishes with your garden!