The Q&A Archives: Covering a tall bank

Question: I am a 70-yr old widow with a tall bank in back that needs covering. I recently purchased this house thinking the weeds and vines on the bank would suffice but my little dog is making mud paths and I need something fast growing to cover it. I hope to plant forsythia on part of it. In rain, I end up with a muddy dog. HELP!

Answer: Probably the most cost effective and easy care plant for your bank is Virginia Creeper. Your dog can still walk in it but it should slow erosion and keep the mud to a minimum. There are other vining or trailing plants available so a trip to your local garden center is in order. Choose plants that are native to Virginia and they should grow well with minimal maintenance. Best wishes with your landscape!