The Q&A Archives: Vinegar for Azaleas

Question: I have several gallons of generic Vinegar. I have dozens of azaleas. Our Oklahoma soil is very alkaline so I add peat moss and peat compost all the time. Would I increase the acid content in my soil safely by sprinking Vinegar into my composting oak leaves? And, or, could I dilute the vinegar greatly and water my azaleas with it? It sounds deadly to me. Okay to shorten my question, if needed

Answer: Although vinegar is acidic, there have been no studies done as to how a vinegar solution might affect plants over the long term. Vinegar doesn't last very long in the soil - only a few days - so you'd need to mix a new vinegar solution each time you watered your azaleas. I think I'd stick with peat moss and the acidified Azalea/Rhodendron fertilizers available at garden centers. If you decide to experiment with vinegar, 2 tablespoons diluted in 5 gallons of water is the ratio. Best wishes with your azaleas!