The Q&A Archives: Perennials for the Desert Region

Question: I am interested in starting a garden. What would be the best plants to grow in my state of Arizona which is dry and warm? I would like colorful and long-lived plants. Could you please suggest a few -- please no cactus! If you could also include growingseason and care of plant it would be greatly appreciated.Thank you! Chris Magri Mesa, AZ

Answer: For a hardy and reliable garden, it's a good idea to start with native plants. I assume you are interested in perennial flowering plants. Here are a few sggestions: Shrubs: Apache plume Bird of Paradise Chamisa Creosote bush Littleleaf sumacFlowers: Blackfoot Daisy (summer) Blue Flax (spring and fall) Coneflower (summer) Purple Aster (fall) Gayfeather (fall) Creeping Mahonia (spring) You might consider talking with neighbors or visiting a local nursery and talk with them about what to grow..