The Q&A Archives: Ideal Soil Conditions for Grapes

Question: I am planning on planting some chardonnay, cabernet grape vines. I was wondering if you do soil tests to see if my soil will support this vine. dean karel Pgh., PA

Answer: In general, grapes like a well drained, good loam or sandy loam soil with neutral to slightly acid pH. Avoid both extremely wet and extremely dry soils. Grapes can be a difficult crop to grow, and it is important that the variety you choose is appropriate for your climate and conditions. I'm not sure that the varieties you mention will thrive in your climate--check with the supplier. Burpee does sell soil test kits, but these will not give specific recommendations for grapes. You might contactyour local Extension agent for more information. The telephone number is (412) 392-8540..