The Q&A Archives: Separating seedlings

Question: If all three seedlings in a 1 3/4" pot are healthy, do you repot into larger pot keeping all three plants? If you do repot, do you separate the three plants? Or, do you choose the best of the three and pull the other two?

Answer: Decisions, decisions. If all the seedlings are healthy, I'd transplant each into its own pot. You can do this by preparing the new pots with moistened potting soil, then turning the original pot over and rapping it sharply on the edge of table, whileholding your hand over the top of the pot to catch the plants. Carefully separate the roots of each plant and put each plant into a new pot. Water them well and they should be none the worse for wear. Some gardeners just snip off the competitors and leave only one plant per pot, but I'm soft hearted and will attempt to keep them all alive!