The Q&A Archives: Fertilizing Orange Trees

Question: When should I fertilize my Satsuma orange trees throughout the year? They are in bloom now.

Answer: If you're on the Gulf Coast, where soils drain quickly and you get a lot of rain, you'll need to fertilize trees 3 years and older 3 times per year between February and September. Topdress the soil with organic matter and compost, and feed your trees a slow-release formula that will not leach away quickly. As trees mature, they'll need more fertilizer each year: at 3 years, they need 0.3 lb actual nitrogen (about 6 lbs of 5-5-5 fertilizer) per application; at 4 years, 0.4 lb (about 8 lbs of 5-5-5) and it increases by 0.5 lbs per year until the trees are 7-10 years old, where application amounts peak at 0.5 lb per application. If you live north of the Gulf Coast weather influence and your soil is rich, you can reduce applications a bit.