The Q&A Archives: Voles

Question: So, if I see erased roots from chrysthanhemums (sp?) I might look at vole pesticides instead of moles?

Answer: Voles are tiny creatures, and are sometimes referred to as field mice. They don't dig tunnels or make large mounds. They can feed on plant roots, though. Moles don't always make visible, above-ground tunnels, either, but can simply make mounds of soil, with a hole in the top, along their paths. If the mounds are fan-shaped with a hole near the edge, you probably have an infestation of gophers. Either can be trapped and once they're gone, you can stomp down on the tunnels to level the soil (and fill in any holes. Neither gophers nor moles actually feed on plant roots but they may chew through them in the process of making their tunnels. Trapping is the most effective way of ridding your garden of voles, moles or gophers.

Best wishes with your garden!