The Q&A Archives: Morning Glories and Tomatoes

Question: I want to plant tomatoes against a block wall which has the best sun in my yard. The wall is approx 3 feet tall and I have morning glory growing above the wall.It is my understanding morning glory are a poisonous plant if ingested. Will it be safe to plant tomatoes this close to morning glory?

Answer: Grape vines are traditionally pruned during the winter season when they are dormant. It won't hurt to do a little early summer pruning if the vines are growing out of control, but pruning at this time isn't necessary to force your vines to bear fruit. In fact, pruning in summer may actually remove some of the flower clusters and you may end up losing fruit. If your grapevines need a complete overhaul, you can wait until the dormant season to really cut them back. Sometimes grapevines try to develop too many clusters of fruit and they all end up being small. If you'd like, you can reduce the number of clusters on your grapevines to force more energy into the remaining clusters. You'll end up with fewer clusters, but larger grapes. If your grapevines are not producing fruit at all, you may have the wrong grape varieties for your growing region. Hope this answers all your questions!