The Q&A Archives: lawn care

Question: how do I get rid of moles and geese on my lawn?

Answer: There are many ways to try to get rid of moles. Moles feed on grubs and earthworms living in your lawn or garden. The damage they do is to plant roots while they are tunneling. Your first consideration should be to control the grub population in your lawn with beneficial nematodes or milky spore powder, both of which are spread on the lawn. Another tactic is to flush the tunnels with water (best done in the spring), or protect your garden by burying a fencing of small mesh, tightly woven hardware cloth. You could also try trapping them live in a Havahart trap. Moles hate the smell of castor oil beans, and there are repellents containing castor oil. There's also a device that creates underground vibrations that deter the critters. You may need to try a variety of these options, and keep it up.

Geese are another problem difficult to control. A dog can chase them away or you might try setting helium filled foil balloons in various places on your lawn. The shine and the motion often scare geese away or keep them from landing.

Hope this helps!