The Q&A Archives: Grass for Shade

Question: What kind of grass should I plant for shady areas? Also, I need to get rid of ugly weeds growing in the yard.

Answer: If the shade is very dense, grass will have a hard time getting established and staying healthy as most grasses require sunny conditions. The most shade-tolerant grasses are fine fescues. For best results, choose a variety that is known to grow well in your area. The weeds can be dug, roots and all, and then you can apply a pre-emergent to keep new weed seeds from germinating. The most earth friendly pre-emergents have a corn gluten meal base and can supply nitrogen as well as keep weeds down. Or, you can spot treat each weed with a vegetation killer such as Round Up. Be cautious, though, because it kills all vegetation on contact, including healthy lawn, ground covers and flowers. Best wishes with your lawn.