The Q&A Archives: Confederate Rose Care

Question: My friend has purchased a plant she called a confederate rose. She said it had to be brought in during winter. Could you please give me it's botanical name and some information on the plant and care of it.

Answer: The confederate rose is nto a rose at all, but a perennial hibiscus (Hibiscus mutabilis). It is hardy only in the South (Zone 9) where it can grow to 15 feet tall. The flowers require short days to bloom, so it often won't bloom until the fall. In your area, it would only be an annual and may not bloom at all depending on the first frost date. Your friend is right that it needs to be brought indoors in winter, but still need warmth and light. Unfortunately, it's hard to grow in containers becauseof its size. Keep it in a greenhouse or sunny window and hoepfully it will flower.