The Q&A Archives: Tulips

Question: I just purchased a flat of tulips today (Feb 9, 2009) in Oakland, CA (NORTHERN CALIFORNIA) and want to plant them in my fron yard so they will blossom in the Spring. I just read the small tag on them and it says,

Answer: It is unusual for tulips to be sold in flats and even more unusual for them to have a care tag that suggests you wait until after flowering to plant them. I would plant them outdoors in their permanent garden spots. Prepare the planting bed first and then carefully remove each plant being careful not to damage the roots. Set each in a hole in the prepared bed, making sure they are sitting at exactly the same soil level as they were in the flat. After they are all planted water them well to help settle the soil. Best wishes with your tulips!