The Q&A Archives: Frost Damage

Question: Florida just had a freeze and many of our shrubs and flowers suffered damage (i.e., hibiscus, ginger plant). When do we prune them back and how much should be pruned? Are there any signs that the plant was killed and will not grow back? Thank you.

Answer: I know you want to go out and remove the damage from your plants but with this year's winter weather, I think I'd wait a week or two to make sure another storm doesn't barrel in. You can safely remove any dead or damaged foliage from your tropical hibiscus and ginger plants. Cut down as far as necessary to get rid of the freeze damage. You can prune both plants back hard without any ill effects. You will see new growth as soon as the weather warms. Best wishes with your garden!