The Q&A Archives: type of evergreen

Question: I would like to know what type, kind of tall plant or tree I can plant next to my house on either side of a window that can add curb appeal that I can manage. It needs to be evergreen, and a fast grower

Answer: Here are a couple of suggestions for you: Buxus sempervirens 'Fastigiata', unpruned, will reach a mature height of 10 to 12 feet, with a spread of 4 to 5 feet. You can prune it to keep it smaller. Best grown in average, medium wet, well-drained soil in full sun to part shade. Will grow in full sun to part shade. Buxus sempervirens Monrue (Boxwood Green Tower) Reaches 9 feet tall, but is never more than 2 feet wide. The habit of this plant is very dense, yet it keeps its neat, straight-up-and-down shape, as if you'd just finished shearing it. In fact, you never have to do a thing to the foliage, but if you want to shape it, Green Tower is dense enough to create topiary without leaving unsightly gaps and holes. The foliage is medium- to fine-textured, giving Green Tower a full, solid look even from a young age. Expect it to reach about 5 feet tall within 5 years (9' tall in 10 years) in full sun to partial shade. Buxus sempervirens 'Variegata' is a dense round evergreen shrub. Very slow growing to maybe 5' in 20 years. The variegation changes with the season, from white to cream to yellow. Hope one of these plants appeals to you.