The Q&A Archives: Pyracantha

Question: I have two - neither ever gets berries. It's been at least 5 years since I put them in. They have a southern/western exposure. Though the bottoms of the plants don't get tons of sun, the mid and upper sections (plants climb a deck and are at least 10 feet tall) get a good amount of afternoon sun. Are there male/female versions? Help - can't figure out why no blooms/berries.

Answer: Pyracantha is considered to be hermaphrodite - both male and female flowers on the
same plant, so that's not the problem. My question is - do your pyracanthas flower? I suspect not, or you'd get berries. On rare occasions the plants are sterile and that may be what's going on with yours. You may try stressing the plants this summer to see if that encourages flowers and berries. Don't feed the plants and water less than usual. Soil on the dryish side should shock your plants into blooming. Hope this helps!