The Q&A Archives: organic garden

Question: My husband had a lawn care company spray weed killer in my back yard. I want an organic garden. I want to have raised beds. I plan to put plastic on the ground and add organic soil. Do you think I can prevent the weed killer chemicals from seeping into my garden veggies? Is there another option to making sure I have an organic garden? Please advise.

Answer: Most weed killers will break down and disappear within a few months. But to do so, they need fresh air and sunshine. Don't put plastic down on the ground but instead dig out all the old grass, along with the roots and then put fresh soil over the area to build your raised bed. You can use compost and manure as organic ferilizers, hand pull weeds so you won't have to use chemicals. As long as you keep chemicals out of the garden, you can have safe, organic veggies. Enjoy!