The Q&A Archives: Container Garden

Question: I love fresh vegetables and use to have a garden. I do not have space for one now. I thought about transforming my deck into a vegetable garden by growing vegetables in pots or containers. I don't know where or how to start. Is this even feasible and what are the best vegetables to grow in containers?

Answer: As long as you have enough sunshine on your deck, you can grow most any kind of vegetable or herb. Most vegetables adapt well to containers. The size of the pot depends on the mature size of the vegetable. For tomatoes, you'll probably want a large container - 12 to 18 inches is good. For smaller plants, like lettuce or radishes, 6 to 8 inches deep will work. Experiment a little and you might be able to grow some annual flowers along with your vegetables, for a festive and functional patio garden. Hope you have a bountiful harvest!