The Q&A Archives: heavy pruning

Question: I want to prun heavy on shrubs and holley trees to get them back in shape. Do I still have enough time before spring? Thanks Henry

Answer: You can prune now, or wait until new growth begins in the spring. Depending upon the shrub, you may want to spread your pruning over the entire spring and summer months. It's generally safe to remove up to one third of the live material on a tree or shrub but removing more than that all at once might stress the plants. Try reducing the sizes of your shrubs by removing one third now, one third later this spring and one third again in late summer. This will give your shrubs a chance to recover between prunings because they will still have plenty of foliage to manufacture energy for the root systems. Bet wishes with your landscape!