The Q&A Archives: problem with Ixoras

Question: I have many Ixora Bushes and I noticed some of them have black spots on the leaves. I was wondering if that was black spot fungus like Roses get and if I should use a copperside fungus control or if it could have been from the recent cold spell we had at times in the last month.

Answer: I think what you are seeing is winter damage. Few pests bother Ixora. If scales and aphids are allowed to build up, black sooty mold will appear on the leaves. Insecticidal soaps can take care of both of these concerns. Occasional nematode damage is reported, and generous use of organic mulches will also reduce the injury from these microscopic soil pests. You can prune to remove the damage and healthy new growth will appear. Best wishes with your garden!