The Q&A Archives: What zone am I in?

Question: I have 3 small areas for gardening around my mobile home. One is sun/part-shade out front, under a pine tree, where I have rose bushes, bulbs, azaleas and some groundcover. Another area is a veg. garden. The third is a 2'x15' flower bed with lilies, crocus,blue fescue; I add misc. annuals to it. I am getting my soil tested this year because all beds are not flowering. Advice?

Answer: You are in USDA zone 5. Once you get the results from your soil test back, you will know whether or not your soil is lacking some key elements. As a matter of routine, you can always improve your garden soil by adding organic matter each spring. I just spread 4-5 inches of compost or aged manure over my garden beds each spring and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. Then I plant. Over the years this practice will result in rich, loamy soil that will grow almost anything. Best wishes with your garden!