The Q&A Archives: About Bosc Pear Trees

Question: I have just purchased 2 Bosc Pear Trees. I planted them in Nov. They were grafted. I live in NJ. What do I need to know about the Bosc Pear to make them grow and produce fruit?

Answer: The Bosc Pear is medium to large, dark yellow fruit with brownish russeted skin and a long, gourd-shaped neck. It is tender, aromatic, jiucy, smooth textured and white fleshed with a rich, slightly acid flavor that is great for eating, baking and drying. Trees are large, upright, slow growing and late blooming, but are also very productive and reliable. It harvests very late in September or early October.

As with any fruit tree, Bosc pears should be planted in full sunshine, in soil that drains well. Keep your new trees watered during the growing months to help them grow vigorously. Your trees should flower in spring and will begin to produce fruit in 3-4 years (maybe sooner!). Enjoy!