The Q&A Archives: New sod grass

Question: Four weeks ago I planted Floratam sod grass in my lawn. It is beginning to get green. Should I apply lawn fertilizer now? If so, what fertilizer should I use? Will weed poison kill the grass.

Answer: Floratam Sod should be fertilized 30 days after installation and again as needed or 3 to 4 times a year. A balanced fertilizer works best. Examples are 6-6-6 or 10-10-10. Weed killers should not be used until the sod is fully established so I suggest hand pulling any weeds that pop up. Not all weed killers are safe to use on Floratam. If you decide to use weed killer later in the season, be sure to read the package directions to make sure the product is safe to use on Floratam. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"