The Q&A Archives: holly tree/bush

Question: i have a 10 ft holly tree that i need to move to another location (6 feet away) do you have any advise?

Answer: It will difficult to move such a large holly, but not impossible. The important thing is to keep the root mass intact as much as possible. Expect the roots to be in the top 18-24 inches of soil, spreading out a little further than the longest branches. Start digging there - at the drip line - and dig straight down to unearth the rootball. I find it easier to dig in slightly moist soil so you may want to water your holly well the night before the planned move. I'd move it now in the early spring, before the weather gets too warm. This will allow the roots of your holly to reestablish before warm weather prompts lots of growth. Best wishes with the move!