The Q&A Archives: cactus

Question: I am not a good indoor plant person, but I bought a small cactus (one of the smallest they sell in Home Depot) when we bought or house 6 yrs ago and it has sentimental value. Believe it or not it is still alive. I do think it is feeling confined in the small pot it is in. Should i put it in a bigger pot, or just leave well enough alone. And if I do, how do I do it and keep it alive. .

Answer: Cactus are so slow growing that they can remain in the same container for years and years. If the cactus is outgrowing the pot, or if it looks top heavy, you can replant it. Put it in the next size pot so the roots have a little more room, but not a great deal of new room. Be sure to use cactus mix or a mixture of sand and gravel when you transplant. Best wishes with your cactus!