The Q&A Archives: What to plant with roses

Question: I have lots of roses in my yard, mostly all of them are pink or have a pink hue. What flowers can I plant to compliment the roses without making my garden look like a precious pink paradise? After all, my husband gardens with me and it's looking way to feminine for both our tastes.

Answer: You can plant both annuals and perennials with similar requirements for sunshine and moisture so the possibilities are almost endless. I think Lavender looks nice with pink; so does blue. For a real contrast, try a yellow such as Black Eyed Susan or Coreopsis. I have even seen geraniums planted beneath roses and they look stunning. Whatever you choose, you're sure to enjoy the lovely flower combination. Best wishes with your rose garden!