The Q&A Archives: Night-flowering jessamine

Question: I am interested in finding information on a plant called CECTRUM NOCTURNUM, in english NIGHT JASMINE, or in spanish DAMA DE NOCHE. Any ideas? Diana Thermiotis Paris

Answer: I think the plant you are referring to is CESTRUM NOCTURNUM, also called night-flowering jessamine. Jessamine belongs to the family SOLONACEAE. A native of the West Indies, this slender-branched shrub grows to a height of 12 feet. It has evergreen, oval leaves up to 8 inches long, and greenish-white or cream-colored blooms about 3/4 inch long, which are intensely fragrant at night. This is a tropical plant, requiring temperatures to remain at 55 degrees F. or above. Good luck with your garden. Charlie Nardozzi NGA Senior Horticulturist