The Q&A Archives: Perennials For Sunshine

Question: Which perennials will grow best in a garden on the northwest side of a building which provides morning shade and afternoon sun? I have big-leafed blue hostas there now but they get sunscald in midsummer so I'm planning to replace them.

Answer: There are many perennials that will fit the bill in that area. Here are a few to try: Aruncus, Achillea, Artemisia, Aster, Columbine, Coreopsis, Coneflower, Dianthus, Euphorbia, Delosperma, Erigeron, Geranium, Heliopsis, Rudbeckia, Monarda, Poppy, Scabiosa, Sedum, Shasta Daisy. There are some hosta that thrive in full sun. If you are interested in trying some of those, consider: August Moon, Blue Mammoth, Sun Power, Shining Tot, Royal Standard, Hadspen Blue, Honeybells, Fringe Benefit, Sun Dance, Sum & Substance, On Stage, Invincible, Blue Umbrella, Fried Green Tomatoes, Green Fountain, Shade Fanfare, and f. Aureo-Marginata.