The Q&A Archives: birds

Question: I have tried everything to discourage the birds from nesting under my slatted patio cover. Any idea's They come back every year. Help

Answer: You might try temporarily putting something up on the trellis to make it difficult for the birds to build a nest. I've used wadded up newspapers, stuck with double-sided sticky tape. Use a broom to knock down any nesting materials you discover. Do this once or twice a day and the birds will eventually get the message that the lattice is not the best place to nest. You might also try tying ribbons, strips of aluminum foil or similar materials that will flutter in the breeze. These might scare them away. Or, as a last resort, you might want to drape bird netting over the tops of the slats so birds cannot access the slats. Be sure to anchor the bird netting down well so it doesn't blow away in a breeze. Best wishes!