The Q&A Archives: Long Narrow Space

Question: I have a long narrow space between a rock wall and a fence. It is about 37 feet long and 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 inches wide. Right now there is grass and dirt there and it is difficult to trim. I would like to plant flowers in this sunny area. It needs to be something hardy that does not require a lot of attention. Someone suggested creeping red sedum or creeping phlox. What would you suggest? Thanks.

Answer: I would use a creeping ground cover in the area. Both sedum and creeping phlox are good plants to use. You might also consider growing creeping thyme or even ajuga in the area. Or, plant all 4 different plants, in different sections of your long planting area. It would add interest all through the year to have different foliage cand flower colors at different times of the year. Enjoy your garden!