The Q&A Archives: Grubs?

Question: I have had grubs in my lawn for several years. I have applied different types of grub control but around September I still get several areas where my grass dies and comes out in clumps. Could it be something else that is killing the grass? Sometimes it is in the same place that I had planted new grass in the spring and sometimes it is in different areas.

Answer: It may be that you are applying the grub control at the wrong time of year. Grubs feed near the soil surface from August through October but go deep into the soil the other months of the year so they are not readily affected by the chemicals.

Grubs feed on grass roots until the grass dries out and dies. The turf can easily be pulled back like a carpet. Turf can survive some feeding. Less heavily watered turf should be scouted for grubs in early August. Peel back the grass. Just a couple grubs per square foot are not a problem to an otherwise healthy lawn. Ten or more per square foot are necessary to justify treatment.

Home gardeners have some options for grub control: Don't water during July and August. If the weather is hot and dry, cool season grasses such as Kentucky bluegrass will go dormant. If a few grubs are detected, water and fertilize appropriately so turf can recover from some feeding then reseed or resod areas damaged.

Hope this information helps you get a handle on those pesky grubs!