The Q&A Archives: Best plants for Old English Garden?

Question: What are the best plants to start an Old English Garden?

Answer: Much has been written on The English Cottage Garden and it seems that many people have people different ideas of what an English Cottage Garden is and what goes into it. A lot will depend on where you live and what is suitable for your area. Not all English plants will grow everywhere. If your idea of an English Cottage Garden is one of plenty of free-flowering perennials and some annuals, consider this list (in no particular order): Narcissus (including daffodils), lupines, artemisias, Centaurea, Dianthus, Geranium (not Pelargonium), Lychnis, Ruta, Verbascum, Scabiosa, Aster (including the annual Callistephus), Calendula, Carnation, Cornflower, Lavatera, Nicotiana, Poppy (lots), Primula, lilies, pansies and violas, peonies, delphinium, iris (many), Penstemon, wall-flower, hollyhock, anemones, crocus, cyclamen, Leucojum and Galanthus, Scilla (Endymion), heathers. And you might as well include some herbs and rose. I'm sure other gardeners would wonder why I've missed some of their favorites or why I've included some of the above. But, like all gardening, it's a personal thing.