The Q&A Archives: Sources for Living Stones (Lithops)

Question: What do you know about a succulent plant called Living Rocks or Living Stones... how difficult are they to grow and what kind of conditions do they take? Where can the plant or seeds be found? I've looked through your catalog and haven't been able to find anything on them. Bonnie Bates Huntington, IN

Answer: Living Stones are FUN to grow. They are succulent desert plants, so require the same growing conditions as cactus (sandy soil, lots of bright light, little watering). When happy they will slowly spread as a ground cover in the pot and form a mass of rocks. My experience growing them is they are easy to grow and care for as long as they don't get too cold or wet. You can purchase Living Stones (Lithops) from, Scotty's Desert Plants P.O. Box 1017 Selma, CA 93662-1017 209-891-1026.