The Q&A Archives: Perennials for zone 5-8

Question: I would like to know what type of Perennials Bloom well in my area. I am interested in ground cover plants for borders, and potted blooming plants to place around my pool, and on my porch The pool is full sun, and the porches are covered, however my back porch gets a great deal of sun in the early afternoon.

Answer: There are literally hundreds of perennials from which to choose! You might want to visit several garden centers at different times during the growing season to see which appeals to you most. For starters, here are eight reliable perennial performers for a sunny site: peony, Siberian iris, daylily, bulb lily, black eyed Susan, purple coneflower, cranesbill and sedum. These are widely adapted, easy to grow, and beautiful.

Peony (Paeonia) zones 3-8
Siberian Iris (Iris sibirica) zones 3-8
Daylily (Hemerocallis) zones 3-8
Bulb lily (Lilium) zones 3-8
Black eyed Susan (Rudbeckia "Goldsturm") zones 3-8
Purple Coneflower (Echinacea purpurea) zones 3-8
Cranesbill (Geranium) zones 5-8, some hardy to zone 3
Stonecrop (Sedum) zones 3-8

I'm sure you will find lots more. Enjoy your garden!